15 Bean Soup with New York Sausage
- 1 lb. 15 Bean Mix (soaked for 12 hours in water [2-3 parts of water to 1 part beans])
- ¼ cup Light Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Bulk New York Style Italian Sausage
- 2/3 cup Diced Onions
- 2/3 cup Diced Celery
- 2/3 cup Diced Carrots
- 1 tablespoon Crushed Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Shallots (chopped small)
- ¼ teaspoon Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Tomatoes (crushed tomato in purée)
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
In an 11-quart soup pot with lid, preheat olive oil and lightly brown sausage, add onion, celery and carrots and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add garlic, shallots, salt, pepper and thyme; cook for 3-5 minutes.
Glaze with wine and vinegar.
Add the Tabasco and Worcestershire and reduce.
Add chicken stock, tomatoes and drained beans.
Bring to a low boil for ½ hour. Turn down and simmer with cover for 1 hour, but keep stirring every 10-15 minutes.
Makes 6-8 servings.