New York Style Chili
- 2 lbs. New York Style Hot Sausage or Chorizo (out of casings)
- 2 Large Onions (chopped small)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (chopped fine or crushed)
- 2 Stalks Celery (diced small)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Shallots (chopped small)
- 3 (16 oz) cans Kidney or Black Beans (drained, save liquid for later)
- 1 (28 oz) can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 package Chili Seasonings
Lightly brown sausage or chorizo in olive oil in frying pan for approximately 6 minutes.
Drain off any grease and set sausage aside.
Add onions, garlic, shallots and celery to the same pan.
Sauté until onions and celery are soft.
You may caramelize the pan with a little water as not to stick and to glaze the pan.
Transfer mixture to a large pot and add canned beans and tomatoes and the cooked sausage.
Add the chili seasonings according to directions on package and mix well.
Bring to a boil (stirring frequently as not to burn) then lower to simmer.
Simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
You may add a little of the reserved canned bean liquid to thin if necessary during cooking.